Job Information Software Developer (MIS/IT 6) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
Posted 04-06-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 04-06-2023
Stop Publishing 12-06-2023
Applications are invited for the post of Software Developer (MIS/IT 6) in the Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce (MIIC), salary range $4,594,306 $6,178,830 per annum.
Under the general direction of the Director, Information and Communication Technology, the incumbent is to design, develop, implement, modify, and maintain computer software and software systems to enhance the ICT operations of the Ministry and its portfolio Entities/Agencies. The incumbent is also responsible for providing training, information, and advice in respect of new or existing software solutions.
- Designs, develops, and implements software systems and, using computer tools, languages, and structured programming methodologies, creates computer programs, in accordance with the Ministry’s software development policies and procedures to enhance
- ICT operations;
- Implements the installation of Off the Shelf (commercial) software packages and develops familiarity with all aspects of the packages (procedures and source codes) where necessary;
- Ensures the compatibility of existing software products and platforms and creates codes to link them where necessary;
- Collaborates on the creation of Web applications and Web enabling interfaces for other software;
- Liaises with all Departments to ascertain specific software requirements and their level of satisfaction with the performance of existing software solutions; resolves identified issues where possible;
- Ensures the timely and efficient maintenance of software systems;
- Plans and implements upgrades and modifications to existing systems to accommodate changing user needs and technology in a dynamic environment;
- Develops technical specifications for software based on user and organizational requirements;
- Keeps abreast of changes in software industry standards and trends, inclusive of, version upgrades, known problems or limitations, new tools, etc.; communicates findings and advises the Manager Technical Support of their potential impact on the efficiency and effectiveness of the Ministry’s operations;
- Conducts research into new software packages/platforms/systems as required;
- Assists with the identification of training requirements for various types and levels of computer users; conducts and/or facilitates training as necessary;
- Provides support to users of the Ministry’s software applications;
- Ensures that documentation for all computer systems is up to date and reflects all enhancements/changes and modifications to various aspects of the systems.
- Makes recommendations to the Manager Technical Support on improvements in the processes/functions within the Unit to enhance efficiency;
- Prepares reports on activities at required intervals;
- Performs any other related functions assigned from time to time by the Manager, Business and Application Development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sound judgment exercised
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of initiative, professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and achieve targets under tight deadlines
- Attention to details
- Sound knowledge of .NET, PHP, SQL Server and C or C++ or JAVA
- Sound knowledge of programming in the MS Windows operating system environment
- Sound knowledge of Web enabled application development
- Sound knowledge of industry software trends and standards
- Sound knowledge of MS Office applications
- Good knowledge of flowcharting and flowcharting software tools
- Good knowledge of technical writing
- Good knowledge of the Jamaican education system
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualifications;
- Professional certification in relevant information technology areas from a recognized institution;
- Three (3) years’ experience in programming and systems analysis.
Specific Conditions Associated with the Job
- Required to travel Portfolio Entities/Agencies, predominantly within the Corporate Area;
- Required to possess a valid Driver’s License and a reliable motor vehicle.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Monday, 12th June, 2023 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
4 St. Lucia Avenue
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.