Applications are invited from suitably qualified officers in their Ministries/Departments/Agencies to be assigned to the post of Project Accountant (FMG/PA 2) – (Not Vacant) in the Finance and Accounts Division, Office of the Prime Minister, salary range $2,023,418 – $2,405,208 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the general direction of the Principal Financial Officer, the Project Accountant is responsible for processing requests for payments with respect to projects, conducting site visits, preparing and maintaining records and accounts pertaining to withdrawal from various projects and maintaining accounts in accordance with the FAA Act and guidelines/regulations of Multilateral and Bilateral organizations.
- Maintains the main account, special account, loan accounts, impress account and disbursement and Subsidiary System for all projects;
- Checks requests submitted and all payment vouchers ensuring that the Budget and the necessary authority for incurring the expenditure exists;
- Prepares Project Financial Statements and reports in keeping with the requirements of the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFP) and the lending institutions;
- Prepares schedules and other documentation in keeping with the requirements of an audit;
- Provides reports as required to the Principal Finance Officer on the actual expenditure visà-vis the latest agreed Budget in order to ensure that there is always adequate cash available for projects;
- Manages the cash and loan disbursements from the Ministry of Finance and the Public
Service and lending institutions by monitoring drawdowns from and reimbursements to the special banks accounts set up specifically for Cash Projects;
- Analyzes Financial data and extracts, interprets data for the purpose of determining financial performance and/or make projections;
- Participates in studies to improve the delivery of services and to determine the operational and finance effectiveness of the Division by:
- Extracting financial data from various Accounting and Financial Systems
- Reviewing cost and performing cost benefit analysis related to projects
- Performing statistical cost and financial analysis of data reported in the various Financial Systems
- Developing financial reports of forecasting, trending and result analysis
- Using various software application such as spread sheet, relational databases statistical packages and graphic packages to assemble manipulation and/or format data and reports
- Checks vouchers for payment and ensure that there was the necessary Authority for incurring the expenditure;
- Prepares Financial Statements for the Annual or other audits or Audit Reports as may be required by the Division, the funding Agency, the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service or other relevant agencies;
- Prepares and submits to the Accountant General, statements of expenditure in respect of foreign payments made and ensures that the change is prepared and submitted;
- Visits sites and ensures that payments are made in accordance with work done.
- Provides assistance to Programme Managers in any area of personal competence relevant to project implementation;
- Attends meetings, seminars etc. as required to provide and receive pertinent information relating to the Financial and Administrative Operations of Projects.
- Prepares Management Reports on activities undertaken at required intervals;
- Liaises with Project Officers and Programme Managers ensuring that all Government policies, procedures and guidelines are adhered to.
- Manages the welfare and development of staff supervised through the preparation of Performance Appraisals and Work Plans and recommendation of required learning and development programmes;
- Provides effective leadership to staff supervised through effective objective setting, delegating and communicating;
- Provides guidance to Officers through coaching, mentoring and training, providing assistance and support as needed;
- Promotes the building of institutional knowledge for the Unit by ensuring that established systems and procedures are documented and disseminated;
- Recommends Vacation Leave in keeping with established Human Resource policies;
- Recommends disciplinary action in keeping with the established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Participates in studies to improve the delivery of services and to determine the operational and financial effectiveness of the Unit;
- Performs any other related duties that may from time to time be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong decision-making, problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to work in team and on own initiative
- Report writing skills
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent project/programme planning skills
- Excellent negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Excellent knowledge of Government’s Accounting System
- Knowledge of the FAA Act and guidelines/regulations of Multilateral and Bilateral organizations
- Excellent knowledge of Government’s policies, procedures and guidelines pertaining to projects
- Display strong financial analysis and management expertise
- Proficient in the use of accounting and other software applications - Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point; Projects), SPSS or other statistical packages
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Management Studies with Accounting or BBA Degree from an accredited University; or
- ACCA Level 2; or
- NVQJ Level 5, Accounting; or
- A. Sc Degree in Accounting MIND, along with the Diploma in Government Accounting.
Special Condition Associated with the Job
- Required to work beyond normal working hours, whenever the need arises.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Tuesday September 21st, 2021 to:
Human Resource Development and Management Division
Office of the Prime Minister
1 Devon Road
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.