Job Information Spatial Data Analyst (MIS/IT 5) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation
Posted 21-03-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 21-03-2023
Stop Publishing 27-03-2023
Applications are invited to/fill be assigned to the following post in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation (MEGJC): Spatial Data Analyst (MIS/IT 5) (Vacant) National Spatial Data Management Branch, salary range $3,332,803 $4,482,249 per annum.
To manage Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data collection and collation exercises, the development and management of metadata and the use of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) inclusive of Global Positioning System (GPS) units, other forms of Geospatial Technologies and tools. To design, analysis and preparation of maps, charts and other forms of geospatial products. The development and publishing of GIS web-based and mobile-based applications. The Analyst will also be responsible for co-ordinating the work of the Committees and Sub-committees of the LICJ which focus on geospatial projects, inclusive of metadata and GNSS.
- Participates in meetings and conferences on behalf of the Division and/or Ministry;
- Assists in the development of the Division’s Strategic Plan and Budget and develops Individual Work Plan based on the Strategic/Operational Plan of the Division.
- Analyzes, designs, prepares and prints digital and paper maps for both Public and Private Sector clients;
- Monitors and reviews the operations of various forms of geospatial technologies;
- Researches and reviews end user GNSS/GPS applications and makes recommendations towards the development of local applications;
- Undertakes GIS projects for internal and external clients inclusive of: Database design, population and maintenance
- Data capture and input/entry
- Data analysis
- GIS Products design, publishing and deployment (maps, dashboards, applications etc.)
- Provides sensitization for the Geographic Metadata Information Standard (GIM);
- Provides on-going training assistance for LICJ Geoinformatics Training Centre, GISSEP and other related training requirements;
- Manages the Metadata Data Collection and Management Programme.
- Provides technical secretariat functions for the LICJ’s Projects and Programmes Committee and Geospatial Management Committee;
- Provides metadata collection and management support to LICJ members and maintains the Geographic Information Metadata Standard (GIM);
- Provides technical support in the execution of pre, during and post deployment, training and other activities of the National Emergency Response GIS Team (NERGIST);
- Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, software use and GIS Systems;
- Co-ordinates the signing of Multi-Agency License Agreements for IKONOS and other map products between the Ministry, LICJ member Agencies and other stakeholders;
- Monitors and assesses the various uses of the IKONOS dataset by Member Agencies through periodic surveys and reports;
- Manages the collection of imagery and any other geospatial datasets from LICJ member Agencies and other creditable sources for updating of the National Geospatial Repository hosted at the NSDMB;
- Manages the distribution and use of imagery and any other geospatial datasets held in the National Geospatial Repository to LICJ Member Agencies and academia;
- Assists in the organizing and executing of Geography Awareness Week and GIS Day activities;
- Develops and delivers presentations on various aspects of the Geospatial Industry;
- Prepares GIS Technical Reports, including GIS Needs Assessments, status and final Project Reports, request for proposals as the need arises per project or programme;
- Seeks partners and capital to procure large scale ortho-imagery of the island;
- Provides technical support, institutional support and direction where and when needed for Government Ministries, Agencies and Statutory Bodies, on Spatial Database design, complex GIS analysis using specialized software and general Spatial Data and Database Management processes;
- Develops and implements a cost schedule and price structure for the design and printing of GIS-based maps, and execution of various geospatial projects.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of Succession Planning Framework in collaboration with the Human Resource Management and Development Branch through the development of procedural manuals and other duties prescribed within the framework.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Team and results oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Technical knowledge of GIS, GNSS, GPS, Remote Sensing, use of hardware and software and GIS systems configuration
- Competency in the use of ESRI suite of ArcGIS software
- Competency in the use of imagine processing software
- Competency in the use of GIS Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) eg. Quantum GIS, among others
- Competency in the collection and management of metadata and related tools
- Competency in the use of GNSS/GPS units and related software
- Competency in the use of computers and Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10x including spatial analyst, 3D analyst extensions and a wide variety of extensions.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in spatial data management
- Ability to efficiently and effectively execute GIS projects
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Geo-informatics or a spatially related science such as Land Surveying, with emphasis on spatial analysis and spatial database design, creation and management.
- Post Graduate training in GIS, geospatial data collection, management, analysis and dissemination methodologies;
- Three (3) years of experience in Spatial Data Collection, Spatial Database Design, creation, analysis and management, in addition to GIS project execution.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Monday, 27th March, 2023 to:
Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation
The Towers, 25 Dominica Drive
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.