Job Information Senior Administrative Support Officer (GMG/SEG 2) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Posted 04-06-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 04-06-2023
Stop Publishing 13-06-2023
Applications are invited to fill the following vacant post in the Office of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries: Senior Administrative Support Officer (GMG/SEG 2) – Office of the Permanent Secretary, salary range $3,770,76 to $5,071,254 per annum.
Under the direction of the Permanent Secretary (GMG/EMG 1), the Senior Administrative Support Officer (GMG/SEG 2), is responsible for providing high level administrative support in managing and co-ordinating all the administrative functions of the Honorable Minister and Permanent Secretary’s Office, to ensure their smooth efficient and effective operations. The incumbent also facilitates the efficient flow of information between the Office of the Permanent Secretary and the internal and external stakeholders.
- Formulates Operational and Work Plans for the Administrative support staff of the Executive Office;
- Ensures that all Performance Reports are prepared and reviewed for the attention of the Manager, Technical Programmes/Permanent Secretary;
- Processes all correspondence submitted for the attention of the Permanent Secretary’s Office and ensures timely action;
- Guides the development, implementation and maintenance of appropriate communication, Information Management and Records Management Systems that
- facilitates timely and accessible information to and from the Permanent Secretary’s Office;
- Ensures that all administrative matters for the Executive Office are administered effectively and makes recommendations for improvements as required;
- Proactively prioritizes conflicting needs ensuring that they are handled expeditiously and are followed through to successful completion.
- Monitors and co-ordinates all administrative functions of the Office of the Permanent Secretary to ensure that objectives are met and when there are deviations recommends that corrective actions be taken;
- Manages the Permanent Secretary’s Appointment Diary including scheduling appointments and liaising with internal and external personnel;
- Ensures that the Permanent Secretary is kept abreast of relevant information on issues relating to the Ministry and its Agencies;
- Provides strategic advice, briefings and support to the Permanent Secretary and the Honorable Minister;
- Provides effective support and consultation to the Portfolio Agencies and ensures that their submissions and requirements of the Ministry are handled in a timely manner;
- Serves as liaison between the Agencies under the purview of the Ministry and the Office of the Permanent Secretary to ensure timely responses to queries directed to the Ministry;
- Liaises with various Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to elicit advice/feedback on matters affecting the MoAF;
- Attends high level meetings and records Minutes for transcription, prepares actions items, and ensures follow-through;
- Gathers critical information from meetings and other interaction with various stakeholders and produces reports;
- Ensures that available information is analyzed in a co-ordinated manner and utilized for decision-making at different levels;
- Interacts/networks directly with Ministers of Government, Permanent Secretaries, Directors General, Heads of Agencies and Senior Officials of Government to ensure that matters in relation to the work of the Ministry are expeditiously undertaken/addressed;
- Reviews procurement requisitions and supporting documents for the signature of the Permanent Secretary;
- Manages overseas travel arrangements;
- Assists with examining and quality assuring Annual Reports and other statutory reports for the Ministry and its Agencies;
- Researches, prepares and submits reports, and Meeting Agendas as required;
- Responds to queries by analyzing reports and preparing responses accordingly;
- Routes and obtains timely responses to requests to MDAs for comments, reports, and briefs for the attention of the permanent Secretary and Honorable Minister;
- Assists in examining and quality assuring documents prepared by MDAs for the signature of the Permanent Secretary;
- Co-ordinates and collaborates with managers and staff in the Ministry on projects and assignments, to ensure timely responses;
- Liaises with MDAs regional and other international bodies/institutions to facilitate follow-up and ensures the timely and informed implementation of decisions;
- Works closely with the Director, Communications and Public Relations to facilitate the design and implementation of strategies that cultivate relationships with the media, engage the target audiences and boost the Ministry’s brand awareness;
- Reviews procurement requisitions and supporting documents for the signature of the Permanent Secretary.
- Human Resource
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares Performance Appraisals, and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff and recommends transfer, promotion and leave in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff are clearly identified and addressed;
- Conducts Performance Evaluation Meetings and interviews and prepares Staff Appraisal Reports in keeping with the Performance Management Appraisal System (PMAS);
- Allocates, schedules work and provides guidance when required;
- Performs any other related duties which may be assigned by the Permanent Secretary.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Excellent customer and quality focus skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Highly developed change management skills
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Strong time management skills
- Strong conflict management skills
- Ability to lead and work with teams
- Ability to think creatively and act independently
- Ability to observe and maintain confidentiality in the performance of duties
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships, establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide cross section of professionals and organizations
- Ability to think and act strategically across a wide range of functions.
- Ability to multitask, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Good knowledge of the operations of Government/Ministry’s policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence
- Knowledge of protocol and etiquette.
- Sound knowledge of relevant computer applications and technologies
- Good knowledge of research techniques, methodologies and data analysis.
- Ability to interface with senior government officials both locally and internationally.
- Basic knowledge of Government policy and planning processes
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management Studies, Public Sector Management/Public Administration, or related area.
- Training in Policy Development would be an asset.
- At least four (4) years’ experience in a managerial position in the Public or Private Sector, in an Organization of similar size and complexity.
Special Conditions Associated With The Job
- Required to travel to functions and Events Island Wide
- May be required to work for extended hours to finalize assignments.
- Required to work on 24-hour call.
- Must possess a reliable motor vehicle and be the holder of a valid Driver’s License
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Tuesday, 13th June, 2023 to:
Human Resource Management and Development Division
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.