Job Information Corporate Planner (GMG/SEG 3) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
Posted 02-12-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 02-12-2023
Stop Publishing 12-12-2023
Applications are invited to fill the vacant post of Corporate Planner (GMG/SEG 3) in the Policy Planning Projects and Research Division, Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce, salary range $4,594,306 - $6,178,830 per annum.
Under the general direction of the Director, Planning and Performance, the incumbent is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining systems and procedures that integrate the Corporate/Strategic Planning, Budgeting and Performance Monitoring processes within the Ministry and its Portfolio Agencies, ensuring alignment with Government’s priorities.
The post is responsible for projecting the impact of economic factors on the successful implementation of the Ministry’s policies, programmes, and projects. The incumbent participates in the management and implementation of the Performance Monitoring and Evaluation System (PMES) within the Ministry and its Agencies, consistent with the Vision 2030 National Development Plan, Government Strategic Priorities and the Ministry’s strategic priorities.
There is a requirement to develop partnerships and establish effective working relationships with the Heads of portfolio agencies and staff to ensure that plans and operations relate to overall Ministry and national policies.
The post supports and facilitates performance planning, monitoring and evaluation with a view to improving organizational learning, goal achievement, fiscal prudence and risk management.
- Plans, organizes and manages the Work Schedule for the Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Analyst and the Monitoring Officers;
- Establishes performance standards for officers supervised and delegates accordingly with required guidance;
- Prepares status and situational reports;
- Conducts performance reviews of subordinates;
- Participates and makes representations as required, in meetings, workshops, conferences and other fora on Strategic Planning and Performance Management issues as required;
- Participates in Ministry’s Strategic Planning Meetings;
- Represents the Ministry at meetings, conferences, workshops etc.;
- Recommends improvements and modifications to the planning format;
- Formulates and updates Procedure Manuals and documents as required.
- Monitors the preparation of Corporate Plans and ensures the integration of targets, indicators and other performance measures in the planning and budgeting process;
- Facilitates, in collaboration with the senior officials of the Ministry, its Departments, and Agencies, the preparation of the Integrated Corporate Plans and Programmes in accordance with Government’s directives, priorities and the Ministry’s Mission;
- Facilitates stakeholder participation in the preparation of the Ministry’s Strategic Plan and the Corporate/Strategic Plans for the Ministry’s Portfolio Agencies;
- Oversees the conduct of research, studies and surveys relating to Socio-economic outcomes of services and activities and ensures the co-ordination and development of reports and papers;
- Projects the impact of economic factors on the successful implementation of the Ministry’s policies, programmes, and projects;
- Analyzes Corporate/Strategic/Business Plans from the Agencies and summarizes this information for inclusion into MIIC's Strategic Business Plan;
- Projects the impact of economic factors on the successful implementation of the Ministry’s policies, programmes and projects;
- Analyzes Operational Plans from the Agencies and summarizes this information into MIIC's Operational Plan;
- Liaises continuously with the Cabinet Office to ensure that the Strategic Plan is driven by stated national policy objectives;
- Co-ordinates and prepares the Ministry’s Strategic/Medium Term Plan in conjunction with
- Senior Director;
- Co-ordinates and prepares the Ministry’s Annual Operational Plan;
- Collaborates with the Policy Team and all other Divisions to develop the Ministry’s Plans and policies;
- Provides technical support and guidance to the Divisions, Departments and Agencies in the preparation of their Corporate/Business and Operational Plans;
- Co-ordinates Performance Review Meetings of Ministry and Agencies in collaboration with the Hon. Minister and the Permanent Secretary;
- Provides information to relevant stakeholders for speeches, reports, briefs;
- Collaborates and assists in the preparation of the Ministry’s Technical, Annual and
- Liaises with the Performance Management and Evaluation Unit (PMEU), Cabinet Office and the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service in respect of the Ministry’s Strategic
- Establishes effective working relationships with the heads of Portfolio Agencies and staff to ensure that plans and operations relate to overall Ministry and National Policies and to obtain information and support;
- Participates in the preparation of a plethora of briefs and technical papers;
- Provides comments and contributes to requests from other Ministries and stakeholders;
- Assesses and reports on plans from Departments and Agencies to ensure conformity with established policies, directives and overall strategic objectives;
- Provides timely technical advice and accurate well written reports;
- Conducts verification and background checks to ensure credibility and reliability of reports, documents and related data;
- Participates in the monitoring and evaluation of projects undertaken by the Ministry and ensures reporting requirements are met;
- Keeps abreast of trends and changes in planning and policy development and makes recommendations for their adoption where necessary to enhance the Ministry’s Planning and Policy Development functions;
- Participates in the development and co-ordination of the PAAC Report for presentation to Houses of Parliament;
- Undertakes research and prepares updates, briefs and notes for the IMF Report through the Ministry of Finance and Public Service;
- Prepares Capital Budget Submission as needed;
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time;
- Co-ordinates activities for Planning Retreats;
- Manages the implementation of the Performance Monitoring and Evaluation System (PMES)
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of the Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Officer/s;
- Interprets policy and advises staff supervised on government regulations and guidelines;
- Recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff;
- Provides leadership and guidance through the effective planning, delegation, communication, training and mentoring;
- Makes recommendations on promotions, leave, itinerary, disciplinary issues and other human resources matters.
- Keeps abreast of developments in Corporate/Strategic/Business Planning;
- Performs any other related duties which may be assigned from time to time.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Ability to exercise initiative
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Confidentiality and Integrity
- Effective management of external relationships
- Computer literate - competency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Management, Public Administration or Economics or any related
Social Science Degree;
- Two (2) years’ experience in Economics, Strategic and Operational Planning and
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Public Administration or Economics or any related Social Science Degree;
- Three (3) years’ related experience;
- Specialized training in Planning and/or Project Management, Economic Analysis and Statistics would be an asset.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Tuesday, 12th December, 2023 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
4 St. Lucia Avenue
Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
4 St. Lucia Avenue
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applying for this job?
Take one of Career Jamaica's recommended FREE Online Courses today
and improve your chances of getting hired