Job Information Network Communication and Security Specialist (MIS/IT 5) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation
Posted 21-03-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 21-03-2023
Stop Publishing 27-03-2023
Applications are invited to/fill be assigned to the following posts in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation (MEGJC): Network Communication and Security Specialist (MIS/IT 5) (Vacant) Information and Communication Technology Branch, salary range $3,332,803 $4,482,249 per annum.
To manage the Ministry’s LAN, WAN and IP Telephony to ensure adequate availability of computing resources, smooth transfer of information, security of data and availability and access to productivity tools that allow users to do their job effectively.
- Contributes to the preparation of the Branch’s Budget and other administrative functions;
- Participates as a member of Management Team in planning, problem resolution and reviewing Department performance;
- Provides guidance to the Director of Information and Communication Technology and managers on matters relating to ICT;
- Represents the Organization at meetings, conferences and other functions related to ICT;
- Prepares Individual Work Plan based on strategic alignment to Division’s Operational Plan.
- Plans, secures and directs the implementation of all network systems;
- Conducts research into new ICT products and make recommendations to the ICT Director;
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems;
- Develops and manages the implementation of suitable backup systems to protect and secure the Ministry’s data;
- Protects computer assets by developing security strategies; directing system control development and access management, monitoring, control, and evaluation;
- Develops documents and manages the implementation of Disaster Recovery Plan(s) to minimize system downtime and protect the Ministry’s information assets;
- Develops and maintains accurate documentation showing network infrastructure, platform(s), configuration and security;
- Advises Senior Management by identifying critical security issues; recommending risk-reduction solutions;
- Keeps meticulous records of all network upgrades, maintenance and inventory;
- Develops and implements network-wide security systems to protect the Ministry’s ICT network and data from viruses, external intrusion and internal un/intentional harm;
- Manages the use of key equipment such as photocopiers and printers to prevent abuse;
- Plans, manages and participates in the installation and configuration of network devices such as server boxes, server software, routers, switches, firewalls, printers etc.;
- Evaluates the Ministry’s Network Systems against established industry benchmarks for performance, security, stability etc. and plan and implement the improvements of the systems where necessary.
- Human Resource:
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division/Unit in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Contributes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and Organization’s goals;
- Contributes to the development and implementation Succession Planning Framework in collaboration with the Human Resource Division through the development of procedural manuals and other duties prescribed within the framework;
- Prepares and conducts presentations on role of Division/Unit for the Orientation programme.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Demonstrated use of initiatives
- Knowledge and expertise to design, develop and implement and secure LAN and WAN solutions
- Ability to install and configure Windows 2000/2003/2008 Servers and active directory
- Knowledge and expertise to formulate develop implement and document network security, backup procedures, disaster recovery plans and conduct systems analysis
- Expert knowledge of in-house platforms such as Windows 2000/2003/2008 Server, Exchange 2003/2008 Server, ISA 2004 Server
- Expert knowledge of networking services/protocol such as TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP
- Ability to communicate with and understand the requirements of professional staff in area of specialty
- Expertise in tools of the trade
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in ICT discipline;
- Two (2) years of experience in related field.
- Specify Licensing or Certification Necessary for the Job
- Professional certification (MCSE, CCNA) in software development is highly desirable.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Monday, 27th March, 2023 to:
Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation
The Towers, 25 Dominica Drive
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.