Job Information Transport Manager (GMG/SEG 1) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Posted 28-01-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 28-01-2023
Stop Publishing 07-02-2023
Applications are invited for the following posts in the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries: Transport Manager (GMG/SEG 1) – Facilities and Property Management Branch – (Not Vacant), salary range $2,735,387 $3,678,791 per annum.
Under the direction of the Director, Facilities and Property Management (GMG/SEG 4), the Transport Manager (GMG/SEG 1) is responsible for ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the Transport Unit by managing and controlling the Ministry’s fleet of motor vehicles and establishing and maintaining a programme for the maintenance and repairs of these vehicles and their accessories. The Officer is also responsible for ensuring that the inventory and procurement of motor vehicles and mechanical equipment are managed in accordance with the Government of Jamaica’s (GoJ’s) Service and Procurement Guidelines.
- Supervises the preparation of Repairs and Service Records for road worthy vehicles;
- Attends meetings, seminars and conferences on behalf of the Ministry;
- Monitors funds allocated to the Unit by approving expenditure and ensuring that expenditure conforms to budgetary parameters;
- Reports all accidents and takes all necessary follow-up actions;
- Writes letters, Minutes and reports on various activities within the Unit;
- Replies to queries from Private and Public Agencies concerning farm machinery and equipment and the Ministry’s fleet of vehicles for vetting by the Manager;
- Prepares and submits periodic reports on the operational efficiency of each vehicle on the prescribed form;
- Keeps the Manager informed of the progress of various activities and major problems of the Unit.
- Establishes and maintains a programme for the maintenance and repairs of the Ministry’s vehicles and accessories;
- Determines priorities and sets targets within parameters of the Divisional Objectives;
- Designs and reviews, in collaboration with the Manager and other senior members of staff, schedules, procedures, repairs and maintenance standards;
- Conducts periodic reviews of schedules and makes spot checks to ensure that priorities and targets are being met and repairs and maintenance standards are being adhered to;
- Manages and controls the Ministry’s fleet of motor vehicles;
- Ensures currency of motor vehicles licences and Certificates of Fitness;
- Keeps Inventory Records up to date;
- Ensures periodic maintenance is carried out;
- Ensures speedometer is functional and promptly repaired if defective;
- Conducts regular checks of the Log Book, gas/gas oil records and stock balances;
- Schedules vehicle movements to economize on fuel consumption;
- Checks Time Sheet to ensure proper vehicle handing-over procedures are observed;
- Responds to requests/complaints on Transportation issues and ensures they are resolved/addressed.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of Direct Reports, prepares Performance Appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action, where necessary, to improve performance and/or attain established personal and/or organizational goals;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division/Unit and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and Leave in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Provides leadership and guidance to Direct Reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Division/Unit are clearly identified and addressed;
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and Organization’s goals;
- Allocates and schedules work; allocates Monthly Mileage to Travelling Officers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong customer relations skills
- Good planning and organizing skills
- Good report writing skills
- Knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act
- Basic knowledge of Auto Mechanics
- Knowledge of the operations of Government/Ministry’s Policies and Procedures
- Proficiency in the use of relevant Computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent tertiary education;
- Five (5) years’ experience in Maintenance Management at a supervisory level.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Will be required to travel island-wide;
- Will be required to work extended hours.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Monday, 6th February, 2023 to:
Human Resource Management and Development Division
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.