Applications are invited for the following posts in the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development: Urban Planner (SOG/ST 6) (Vacant) Urban and Regional Planning Unit, salary range $1,656,124-1,968,611 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Reporting to the Director, Urban and Regional Planning the incumbent is required to provide support to facilitate the implementation of the core functions of the Unit. The incumbent will also participate in the delivery of the urban and regional planning functions of the Ministry, specifically in relation to; urban planning modeling, sustainable growth, sustainable development planning interrelationship to disaster risk management, application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to the planning environment and the design and development of the Ministry’s community/planning focus projects.
- Participates in the formulation of the planning, organizing, direction and co-ordination of activities of the Urban and Regional Planning Unit;
- Participates in the development of the preparation of Work Plans;
- Provides advice to the Director on urban and regional planning issues including interpretation of the Planning Regulatory Framework/System, Urban Development and Urban Renewal, poverty alleviation, Disaster Risk Management, Environment/Natural Resources Management, Transportation Planning and Traffic Management, population and settlements;
- Conducts research of urban planning models and review sustainable development planning initiatives;
- Manages the implementation of reform initiatives such as AMANDA to improve the development applications process and recommends the use of information, statistics and projections to define key issues and goals for an improved planning system and develops manuals where appropriate;
- Collects, analyses, forecasts and maps trends in the development applications process;
- Participates in the design, development and implementation of the Ministry’s projects which have a community/planning focus such as parks upgrading and maintenance, heritage and culture, urban development and renewal, and civic addressing;
- Participates in the evaluation of Ministries’ activities for determination of consistency and coherence of different policies related to Urban Planning, Community Development and Environmental Management by collaborating with relevant Agencies and Departments under the Ministry;
- Collaborates with relevant Agencies and Departments under the Ministry in the development of policy positions on effective urban/regional planning, community development and environmental management;
- Contributes to the preparation of quarterly/annual Reports on urban planning and development strategies and objectives of the Ministry;
- Manages initiatives to ensure the inclusion of city/urban management considerations in the development applications process and sustainable development planning;
- Facilitates Strategic Neighborhood Action Plan Programmes, urban renewal initiatives, community-based planning initiatives and environmental consideration as well as give consideration to new trends in planning;
- Designs and conducts workshops, seminars and field visits to address the preparation of urban strategies to inform sustainable development projects; 2
- Ensures themes of urban strategy and developments are aligned with the National Development Plan and current policy directives nationally and locally;
- Collaborates with the Regional Planner and the Ministry responsible for Planning for synchronization of the sustainable development plans with development orders of each Parish;
- Collaborates with Local Authorities to prepare project plans for local sustainable development.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
- Sound judgment and integrity/ethics exercised in the performance of duties
- Ability to lead teams and delegate responsibilities
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage public/private partnerships
- Awareness of international trends in urban planning and environmental management
- Appreciation of international protocols affecting sustainable development in Jamaica
- Excellent knowledge of physical planning and environmental legislation and regulations
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- BSc Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, City Management, Natural Resources Management, Geography or related Discipline;
- At least two (2) years’ experience in Urban Planning.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday, 18th August 2022 to:
Senior Director Human Resource Management and Development Ministry of Local Government and Community Development 61 Hagley Park Road Kingston 10
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.