Job Information Policy Analyst (GMG/SEG 3) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Justice
Category Policy & Research
Posted 14-09-2022Job Status
Start Publishing 14-09-2022
Stop Publishing 28-09-2022
Applications are invited to fill the following vacant post in the Ministry of Legal and Constitutional Affairs: Policy Analyst (GMG/SEG 3) Strategic Planning, Policy, Research and Performance Management Division, salary range $2,551,250 – $3,032,634 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
The Policy Analyst is accountable for the provision of socio-economic analysis and exert advice and recommendations on leading issues for the Ministry’s Policy Agenda for an assigned Sector.
- Provides analysis and synthesizes expert advice, based on legal, economic and social analysis for the Ministry, Minster, Ministerial Staff, the Permanent Secretary and Senior Ministry Officials on a wide range of high priority, sensitive and complex social, economic and political issues impacting the Justice Sector;
- Reviews and analyzes major policy proposals contained in Cabinet documents and other submissions originating from within the Ministry’s Organizations as well as from other Government Departments advising senior officials of the important issues and problems and providing advice and recommendations on appropriate Ministry Strategic responses;
- Drafts briefing notes for the Minister on proposals/documents submitted to Cabinet Committees, including formulation of advice and recommendations for the use of the Minister;
- Researches and analyzes Cabinet documents and discussion papers and other documents impacting on economic and social policies and programmes. Identifies issues of relevance to the Justice Ministry including potential impacts on the Ministry’s workload and resources and formulates advice and recommendations to Senior Management and the Director;
- Prepares briefing notes for Senior Management on various issues;
- Develops and maintains Strategic Network of contacts with other Ministry Organizations and Government Organizations as well as academic and international experts for the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Sector;
- Ensures that Policy Counsel, Directors and colleagues are aware of emerging issues of relevance to the Ministry;
- Ensures that all key areas in the Ministry are informed of any issues or Cabinet business that pertain to their mandate or areas of interest;
- Responds to ad hoc requests for information about the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Sector;
- Participates on or leads Project Teams or Inter Ministry Meetings to discuss documents, concerns and interests and facilitates consensus building for the development of recommendations and proposals.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent knowledge of Policy Development.
- Knowledge of Research Methodologies.
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Must be goal/result oriented.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree from a recognized university with specialization in Economics, Sociology, Law, Political Science or a relevant justice related specialization;
- At least three (3) years of experience conducting research and analysis or conducting statistical and/or quantitative economic analysis;
- Experience in researching, analyzing, synthesizing and interpreting justice issues or data to provide recommendations;
- Experience using statistical software (examples: Excel, SPSS, SAS etc.) to perform statistical analysis.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Tuesday, 27th September, 2022 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Justice
61 Constant Spring Road,
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.