Job Information Licensing and Compliance Officer (JLG/LO 2) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
Posted 09-08-2022Job Status
Start Publishing 09-08-2022
Stop Publishing 20-08-2022
Applications are invited for the following posts in the Office of the Supervisor of Insolvency, Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce: Licensing and Compliance Officer (JLG/LO 2) – (Not Vacant) during the period October 3, 2022 to January 4, 2023, salary range $2,372,868 $2,820,594 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the direction of the Assistant Supervisor, the purpose of the Licensing and Compliance Officer is to ensure Trustee’s compliance with the Insolvency Act, in particular, to assist in regulating the licensing of Trustees and providing general legal advice and support to the Supervisor.
- Oversees the operations of the Application Processing Officer and ensures the applications for Trustees are being dealt with efficiently and appropriately;
- Ensures all records of licences and certificates are being properly stored.
- Reviews applications for Trustees’ licences, assesses the suitability of applicants and makes recommendations to the Supervisor;
- Issues licences and ensures the records of licenses issued, cancelled, suspended or varied are being maintained;
- Ensures Trustees’ deposit the security required under the Act;
- Reviews complaints against Trustees, assesses their legitimacy and makes recommendations to the Supervisor;
- Assists with all matters related to hearings concerning Trustees’ conduct; 4
- Receives and records all complaints from creditors or other person interested in any estate and investigates such complaints;
- Conducts research, prepares and submits Briefs and advise the Assistant Supervisor with respect to complaints;
- Prepares and files any necessary application or reports to the Court for the purposes of the Act;
- Convenes Hearings to resolve disputes between Trustees and other relevant parties;
- Receives notices of compliance from Trustees and issues the relevant certificate;
- Upon expiration of the relevant notice period, prepares and provides to the Accountant-General, particulars of unclaimed dividends in the possession of or under the control of the Supervisor.
- Assists in the formulation of policy and the drafting of procedural guides for the staff of the Office;
- Assists in establishing quantitative objectives and qualitative standards for the Officers;
- Directs supervises and evaluates the performance of the Applications and Investigations Officers;
- Assists the Supervisor in ensuring staff is in compliance with the policies and procedures of the Department and Public Service.
- Assists with the development and review of the legal framework of the Insolvency Sector to maintain the modernization and relevance to the changing environment and its alignment to global standards;
- Assists in the review of the Insolvency Act to determine the need for updating of provisions in response to policy changes and efficiency;
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor and/or Assistant Supervisor from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent organizing and leadership skills
- Ability to work well with others and good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the Insolvency regime of Jamaica
- Knowledge of the Insolvency Law and Civil Practice and Procedure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- An Attorney-at-Law admitted to practise in the Courts of Jamaica;
- Working experience in Insolvency, Estates or Trust matters.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Friday, 19th August, 2022 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce
4 St. Lucia Avenue
4 St. Lucia Avenue
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.