Job Information Leave Officer (GMG/SEG 1) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Ministry of Finance and the Public Service
Posted 22-09-2022Job Status
Start Publishing 22-09-2022
Stop Publishing 01-10-2022
Applications are invited to fill the following vacant post in the Strategic Human Resource Management Divisions, Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFPS): Leave Officer (GMG/SEG 1), salary range $1,640,253 $1,949,746 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the general guidance of the Leave Manager (SEG 3), the Leave Officer (SEG 1) is to ensure that all Policies, standards, regulations and principles regarding the administration of leave relating to the computation and application of leave for employees in Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs) are implemented and adhered to.
- To ensure the proper administration of leave within the Civil Service through training and education and via the enforcement of leave standards, policies and procedures:
- Examines and reviews Service Records and Leave Computation to ensure that they are properly updated and accounted for;
- Undertakes research and makes references to relevant regulations, previous cases and consult with Senior Officers to ensure the correct dissemination of information and advice using such media as telephones, facsimile machines and by letters;
- Assists in the preparation of workshops, seminars and or lectures on Leave Benefits Administration;
- Assists in the training of Leave Clerks from various Ministries/Departments on an individual basis, whenever the need arises and do follow up sessions using the coaching methodology;
- Assists in the preparation of Lesson Plans and materials such as relevant circulars, schedules, handouts and visual aids to be used in Sessions.
- To provide professional advice, guidance and recommendations in the Administration of
- Leave benefits:
- Interprets, regulates and advises Leave Clerks on how to proceed with specific cases referred.
- Initiates reasonable solutions in consultation with senior officers to solve problems.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations to accurately solve problems in cases of leave entitlement, retirement dates for employees, and general leave administration referred.
- Assists in resolving queries from Ministries/Departments regarding leave matters.
- To ensure the proper processing of various types of leave throughout the Public Sector:
- Assists in the processing of no-pay leave in excess of one hundred and eighty (180) days, no-pay leave for study purpose or for urgent private affairs, and submits recommendations for approval to Senior Officers:
- Assists in the Processing (verify and approve) of pre-retirement leave by examining and reviewing Period of Service Records and Vacation Leave Computation to ensure that they
- are properly updated viz the grants of leave, appointments, salary revisions, increments, and correct dates, recorded and accounted for:
- Uses leave schedules, salary scales, Staff Order Regulations and relevant circulars to ensure that the correct principles and rates are applied and ultimately the correct entitlement is arrived at:
- Consults and interacts with the Offices of the Services Commissions, Pensions Branch and other relevant Ministries and Departments to obtain additional information where necessary:
- Ensures that all supporting documents submitted are genuine by contacting their place of origin for verification purposes:
- Ensures that all requests fall within the framework of existing guideline;
- Communicates decisions made re processing of Pre-retirement Leave to Ministries/ Departments;
- Liaises with the HR personnel (Leave Clerks and Administrators) in Ministries/ Departments in order to relay errors and anomalies identified and to ensure that corrective actions are taken.
- To facilitate the conduct of audits on delegated Employee Benefits and leave functions:
- Visits Ministries, Department and Agencies and examines all finalised cases of the delegated functions;
- Assists in the reviews of cases to ensure eligibility for leave benefits in accordance with the policies and procedures;
- Prepares reports on findings and submits to the Director-Leave Administration making appropriate comments and recommendations.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- High accuracy in leave computation
- Sound knowledge of Legislations and Regulations governing leave
- Initiative and Judgment
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good problem-solving and analysis
- Good oral and written communication skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in the Social Sciences;
- Four (4) years’ experience in leave computation and verification.
Applications accompanied by Résumés should be submitted no later than Friday, 30th September, 2022 to:
Senior Director, Human Resource Management and Development Ministry of Finance and the Public Service
30 National Heroes Circle
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.