Applications are invited for the post og Checking Officer (FMG/AT 2) – (Not Vacant), in the Finance and Accounts - Checking Unit, salary range $917,085 - $1,090,126 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Checking Officer (FMG/AT 2)
Under the direct supervision of the Checking Supervisor (FMG/PA 2), the Checking Officer (FMG/AT 2) is responsible for:
- Receiving, examining and recording bill invoices and contracts;
- Preparing and inserting all payment vouchers;
- Checking all payment vouchers;
- Preparing ad hoc/specific reports;
- Maintaining Memorandum Registers;
- Maintaining accounting files and records;
- Printing cheques.
- Receives and records contracts and contract payment vouchers;
- Maintains accounting records and files;
- Participates in the Annual Board of Survey;
- Ensures there is propriety in the bills, invoices and contracts submitted for payment.
- Prepares/Inserts payment vouchers on FinMan System for all Heads of Estimates and Deposit;
- Checks and inserts travel vouchers on FinMan System;
- Ensures that vouchers are properly authenticated;
- Ensures vouchers have the head, subhead, object and sub-head against which payment is being made;
- Ensures that the amount payable is both in figure and words;
- Confirms Tax Registration Number (TRN), name and address of the person to whom payment is made;
- Verifies the nature of the payment;
- Checks the authority for payment against the voucher;
- Prepares and submits reports within agreed timeframe;
- Updates and maintains assigned register(s);
- Assists with updating the Tracking System;
- Performs any other related duties assigned from time to time by the Senior Checking
- Officer, Manager, Accounts Payables, Director, Accounts Payables and Payroll or the Principal Finance Officer.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good customer relation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act, other associated legislation, circulars, directives, bulletins
- Good knowledge of Government of Jamaica’s (GoJ’s) and Ministry’s Policies and Procedures
- Knowledge of Government Accounting
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications viz Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of relevant/ applicable computerized accounting systems.
- Knowledge of Accounts Payables and GoJ’s payment process
- Knowledge of internal controls
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- AAT Level 2 or;
- ACCA-CAT Level B or;
- Certificate in Accounting from a recognized University or;
- Completion of second year in Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting/Management
- Studies or BBA at a recognized University or;
- Associate of Science Degree in Accounting, MIND, or;
- Government Accounting Level 2 – Modules 1-5;
- Experience in the Public Sector payments and accounts payable.
Human Resource Management and Development Division
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.