Job Information Assistant Attorney General (JLG/LO 4) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type Full-time
Department Executive Agency
Posted 23-11-2021Job Status
Start Publishing 23-11-2021
Stop Publishing 11-12-2021
Applications are invited for the post of: Assistant Attorney General (JLG/LO 4) – Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Division (HQ), salary range $3,420,199 - $4,065,532 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the general direction of the Deputy Solicitor General, Constitutional and Legislative Affairs, the incumbent is responsible for providing legal advice to various Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on a wide range of legal matters.
- Advises Ministries, Departments and Agencies on a range of legal issues relating to
- legislative matters including Cabinet Submissions, Bills, Draft Regulations and Green Papers;
- Attends Committee Meetings of Cabinet and Parliament in relation to Bills, Cabinet Submissions and Draft Regulations;
- Advises members of Parliament on Draft Legislation and other legal matters;
- Represents the Attorney General’s Chambers on working groups to consider the enactment of legislation and the formulation of policy;
- Represents MDAs before the Access to Information Appeal Tribunal;
- Advises the responsible Minister and Appeal Tribunal in respect of Planning, Development and Environmental Appeals under the Town and Country Planning Act, the Beach Control Act, the Local Improvements Act and the Natural Resources Conservation Act;
- Provides legal advice of a more general nature to Committees of Cabinet and MDAs.
- Assists with the assignment of legal work in the Division;
- Assists with conducting monthly meetings to discuss and implement projects and policies that facilitates the efficient operation of the Division and the development of the Attorneys;
- Monitors the performance of direct reports and facilitates the timely and accurate completion of the staff Annual Performance Appraisals and other Periodic Reviews;
- Liaises with Ministries, Departments and other clients in relation to legal matters referred to the Attorney General’s Chambers;
- Represents Attorney General’s Chambers at meetings, conferences, workshops and seminars in relation to functional area.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Sound knowledge of the Laws of Jamaica
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sound research and analytical skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret legal documents
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent knowledge of laws governing Access to Information
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Degree from an accredited University;
- Five to six (5-6) years relevant working experience;
- Certificate in Legal Education.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Friday, 10th December 2021 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Attorney General’s Chambers
Ministry of Justice Building
61 Constant Spring Road
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.