Applications are invited for the vacant post of Senior Payroll Officer (FMG/PA 1), in the Finance and Accounts Division, Department of Correctional Services
Salary range $1,341,866 - $1,789,576 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Manages the control and payment of permanent and temporary monthly paid staff.
- Ensures that all relevant information in connection with the payment of salaries is dealt with upon receipt;
- Verifies employment and other income reports;
- Provides salary information to Human Resource on request;
- Provides letters to employees in respect of salary particulars, contributions and other deductions;
- Receives signed cheques for batching according to Departments and forward to supervisor for dispatching;
- Files information pertaining to memoranda and deduction orders received;
- Maintains continuous record of salary particulars of each monthly paid staff, capturing information such as date of appointment, and incremental date;
- Informs supervisor as to the accuracy of the payroll so that cheques can be prepared;
- Records data concerning transfers and resignation of employees;
- Reviews employees Pay Card for accuracy;
- Maintains records of employees’ status, assignments, rates of pay and benefits;
- Assists in providing information to employees and various organizations on their behalf in respect of salary particulars.
- Checks and verifies all relevant information in connection with the payment of salaries;
- Prepares and presents completed Coded Date Sheet to immediate Supervisor for scrutiny and signature;
- Computes salary and deductions and enters data onto Payroll System and Salary Records for all monthly paid staff;
- Makes adjustment to pay if errors are detected;
- Verifies that all cheques prepared are in the same quantum for each employee as Net Pay reflected by the payroll printout and that no additional cheques are prepared;
- Makes corrections to all cheques that require changes and follow through for the issue of new cheques from the Salary Account;
- Prepares payment vouchers in cases of adjustment made to Payroll.
Human Resource Management/Supervisory:
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals;
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff are clearly identified and makes recommendations;
- Establishes and maintains an environment that fosters a culture of teamwork, employees’ empowerment and commitment to the Unit and the Organization’s goals;
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the Director from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Sound knowledge of accounting standards and procedures
- Ability to utilize technology to accomplish assigned tasks
- Ability to organize workload and deliver under the pressure of deadlines
- Good use of technology
- Proficient in Data Entry and Management
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Excellent leadership skill
- Excellent interpersonal skill High level of integrity
- Excellent use of own initiative
- Excellent teamwork and co-operation
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- AAT Level 3 or;
- ACCA-CAT Level 3 or;
- Diploma in Accounting from a recognised University or;
- Associate of Science Degree in Accounting, MIND, or;
- Diploma in Government Accounting, MIND, or;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Management Studies with Accounting or BBA from a recognised University.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday, 1st July, 2021 to:
Senior Director, Human Resource Management & Administration
Human Resource Management & Administration
Department of Correctional Services
5-7 King Street
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.