Job Information Occupational Health and Safety Officer (GMG/SEG 1) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email email@example.com
Job Type Full-time
Department Executive Agency
Posted 29-11-2021Job Status
Start Publishing 29-11-2021
Stop Publishing 09-12-2021
Applications are invited to fill the following post in the Corporate Planning and Administration Division, Ministry of Finance and the Public Service: Occupational Health and Safety Officer (GMG/SEG 1) (Vacant), salary range $1,640,253-$1,949,746 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the general direction of the Director, Employee Relations, Occupational Health and Safety, the Occupational Health and Safety Officer has the responsibility to co-ordinate, support and advise the Ministry on all aspects with regards to Health and Safety. To implement and monitor standards, processes, communications, training and systems to ensure
all responsibilities associated with Health and Safety within the Ministry are adhered to.
- Ensures a safe workplace environment without risk to health;
- Ensures that all health and safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated;
- Ensures the completion and regular review of Risk Assessments for all work equipment and operations;
- Ensures that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented;
- Ensures that Safety Inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, Safety Inspections, Risk Assessments and lone working procedures are managed and employees are aware of their responsibilities;
- Co-ordinates the development of Health and Safety policies, systems of work and procedures;
- Ensures full and accurate Health and Safety Records and Training Records are maintained;
- Establishes a structured programme of Health and Safety Training throughout the Ministry;
- Promotes and maintains safety in the workplace;
- Participates in regular Staff Development activities and develops new skills and competencies to meet the changing needs;
- Liaises with external Health and Safety Consultants in the provision of training programmes and Health and Safety services;
- Keeps up to date with all aspects of relevant Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Legislation and communicates relevant changes to the staff;
- Provides regular reports;
- Liaises with Insurers, Solicitors etc.;
- Assists with the training and mentoring of new staff.
- Develops Individual Work Plan based on alignment to the overall plan for the section and performance measures/standards;
- Participates in meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences as required;
- Prepares monthly reports on customer complaints, number of issues resolved, and other documents as required.
- Contributes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and Ministry’s goals;
- Maintains customer service principles, standards and measurements;
- Identifies and incorporates the interests and needs of customers in business process design;
- Ensures critical success factors are identified and meets expectations;
- Performs all other duties and functions as may be required from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Sound knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act (2017)
- Working knowledge of the policies and guidelines of the Ministry
- Good knowledge of the Ministry standards and procedures
- Demonstrates sound personal and professional integrity, reflecting high ethical and moral values
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health Sciences, or a related discipline;
- Training in Occupational Health and Safety Management
- Two (2) years related experience in a similar environment
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Wednesday December 8, 2021 to:
Senior Director, Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Finance & Public Service
30 National Heroes Circle
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.