Applications are invited for the post of Driver (LMO/DR 1) – (Vacant), in the Research and Development Division (Montpelier Research Station, Montego Bay), salary range $10,749 - $12,771 per week.
Driver (LMO/DR 1)
Under the supervision of the Senior Research Director, the Driver 1 undertakes the collection and delivery of mails and documents on behalf of the Station; transport staff to and from assignments and conducts routine daily/weekly maintenance of the vehicle.
- Transports goods/materials from the Ministry to location around town;
- Transports farm products for export from locations island-wide;
- Collects and signs for fuel, oil where necessary accounting for all receipts for fuel received;
- Assists in loading and unloading trucks occasionally;
- Checks the vehicle each morning to ensure that the braking and signaling systems are functioning properly, and the oils, water coolant, brake fluid or oil, air pressure for air brake are at operating levels;
- Checks that spare tyres, tools and jack are in place and ensures that any puncture tyre on the Unit is changed before driving Unit;
- Ensures that the vehicle is regularly serviced and maintained as required;
- Reports all defects, deficiencies, shortage or damage discovered to the Transport Manager promptly;
- Performs general mechanical and simple electrical repairs to vehicle assigned;
- Prepares reports and maintains records on the operations of the vehicles;
- Reports any defects or damages done to the vehicle assigned;
- Prepares reports giving details on accidents the vehicle assigned is involved in;
- Performs any other related duties, which may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written Communication skills
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Good Time Management skills
- Good Problem Solving and conflict Management skills
- Excellent Defensive Driving skills
- Proficient in basic mechanics
- Knowledge of the operations of Government/knowledge of the Ministry’s policies and procedures
- Knowledge of basic motor vehicle maintenance
- Completion of Secondary Level education;
- Possession of an open General Driver’s License;
- Approval to operate motor vehicle from National Works Agency
- Three 3 years’ experience in a similar position;
- Ability to read and write legibly.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Wednesday, 30th June, 2021 to:
Human Resource Management and Development Division
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.