Job Information Director, Enterprise Risk Management (GMG/SEG 3) Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type Full-time
Department Executive Agency
Posted 25-01-2023Job Status
Start Publishing 25-01-2023
Stop Publishing 03-02-2023
Applications are invited for the vacant post of Director, Enterprise Risk Management (GMG/SEG 3), in the Accountant General’s Department, salary range $4,060,697 – $5,461,186 per annum.
The Director Enterprise Risk Management is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and analysing risks inherent to the operations of the Treasury/AGD; and formulating, implementing, administering, and evaluating Risk Management strategies to efficiently and cost-effectively manage those risks. The incumbent ensures that the Department maximizes compliance with requirements (regulations, legislature, policies, procedures and standards), as well as stakeholder value. The incumbent is also responsible for educating and advising management and staff on Risk Management strategies.
Summary of the broad purpose of the position in relation to Government’s goals and strategies:
- To lead the management of the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) function to support the operations of the Treasury and its compliance with requirements and obligations
- To develop, implement and manage the ERM framework
- To facilitate the overall ERM process and provide Risk Management delivery support
- To develop and maintain the risk governance arrangements, including documentation and risk tolerance and appetite approach
- To develop a Risk Management culture to support the implementation and effective operation of ERM
- To be the system owner and functional administrator for ERM Information System and analysis software
- To establish and facilitate a Business Continuity Management process which is fully aligned with the ERM Framework and Risk Management process
- To deliver training and mentor programmes for ERM.
- Develops Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Programme;
- Provides oversight and direction for management of risks across the Department;
- Partners with Senior Executive Management Team to ensure that risks are identified and considered in the development of the AGD’s Strategic Plan and proactively manage to balance risks and the accomplishment of the Mission of the Department;
- Co-ordinates Risk Management efforts among all functional areas of the Department by creating and leading a Risk Management Team comprising of representatives including Facilities Management, Human Resource Management, Human Resource Development, Information and Technology, Standards and Policies, etc.;
- Develops and maintains effective working relations with internal and external parties, including but not limited to Senior Management, extensive cross-functional interfaces, auditors, etc. to ensure that the ERM Framework continues to be effective;
- Facilitates the Department’s definition of risk appetite and tolerance;
- Co-ordinates Risk Assessments;
- Identifies the operational and strategic risks and guide the development of mitigating strategies;
- Facilitates the prioritization of risks and identification of risk owners;
- Develops and communicates Risk Reports to management;
- Delivers training and mentoring programmes for ERM;
- Provides the Enterprise Risk Analysis Report to inform the development of the AGD’s annual Strategic Plan;
- Collaborates with Senior Managers of the AGD to support the development of the Strategic Corporate and Operational Plans for the ECC;
- Ensures the implementation of systems of control to facilitate probity in the administration and reporting of the public finances vested in the Department;
- Ensures that the Department’s financial activities adhere to the requirements of the FAA Act, Cash Basis IPSAS and relevant legislation and regulations.
- Strategic Leadership:
- Implements and enforces policies and procedures of the Organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Unit and the AGD;
- Conducts research and recommends changes to policies, procedures and systems to enhance the functioning of the Unit and Department;
- Assists with the preparation of the Department’s Annual Strategic Plan and Budget, and supports the Senior Director, Corporate Services to deliver the Division’s Operational Plan in an accurate and timely manner;
- Prepares and monitors the Unit’s Operational Plan and Budget ensuring the work of the Unit is carried out according to plan, and agreed targets achieved;
- Establishes and implements systems for reporting of work done against stated and agreed Work Plans;
- Assists with the establishment of internal control processes required to manage and grow the Division;
- Deputizes for the Senior Director Corporate Services as and when required.
- As Unit Head:
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the Unit's function and performance;
- Leads in the smooth and efficient operation of the Unit through the management of daily operations;
- Establishes and implements systems for reporting of work done against stated and agreed Work Plans for the Unit;
- Establishes internal control processes required to manage and grow the Unit; Meets or exceeds Unit performance targets; Deputizes for the Senior Director – Corporate Services as and when required.
- Human Resource Management:
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of the Unit by overseeing the development of performance targets for the Unit and staff based on the Corporate Strategic Plan;
- Ensures that the Unit’s staff have sufficient and appropriate physical resources to enable them to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively;
- Provides leadership and guidance through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring, coaching and disciplinary action;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Unit;
- Recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource Policies and Procedures;
- Identifies skills gaps and collaborates with the Manager Training and Development to develop and implement Staff Development and Succession Plans for the Unit to ensure adequate staff capacity;
- Monitors job specific and environmental factors, implements and promotes health and safety policies; and mitigates and minimizes workplace hazards;
- Monitors the performance of staff and ensures effective and objective staff performance management, through timely and accurate completion of the staff appraisal process, including periodic reviews;
- Ensures the welfare of Unit staff are clearly identified and addressed;
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Strategic Planning: The ability to develop effective plans in keeping with the
- Department’s objectives, including to effectively review policy issues, determine priorities, and set medium and long term goals
- Strategic Vision: The ability to develop a clear vision of the desired future state of the Department, demonstrate awareness of and or anticipate changing environmental trends, industry opportunities and threats/risks
- Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and strategic objectives of the Department are met in a consistent, effective and efficient manner
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving: The capacity to analyze problems promptly, choose between alternatives, and effect meaningful solutions.
- Use of Technology: The ability to accept and implement information technology in work activities to enhance organisational performance
- Managing the Client Interface: Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high-quality service.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: The ability to be a collaborative business leader, and an inspiring professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work co-operatively with others in pursuit of team goals
- Leadership and Team Building: The ability to provide vision, direction, allocate responsibilities, delegate and motivate staff in one’s team, to include leading by example
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations
- Change Management: The ability to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment and the willingness to respond quickly and positively to change, and to lead others through change and manage their concerns
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills – The ability to display behaviors appropriate to the AGD’s business and social environment
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency between established values and behaviors, in order to build trust and credibility
- Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact collaboratively with colleagues, and to build long term internal and external relationships and gain support to achieve desired objectives
- Oral and Written Communication: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in writing, and in one-on-one, face-to-face, with excellent public speaking skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Working knowledge of Accounting practices and applications
- Knowledge of international Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Knowledge of Government Accounting
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in Strategic Planning
- Comprehensive knowledge of Public Treasury operations
- Knowledge of banking operations
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Post Graduate Degree from a recognized institution in Business Administration, OR equivalent;
- Experience in Budget Management
- Five (5) years Post Qualification Experience in Enterprise Risk Management;
- Three (3) years of experience working at management level preferably in an Accounting and/or Finance environment with at least three (3) years in the Public Sector.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance;
- Enterprise Risk Management accreditation or certification;
- Project Management accreditation or certification;
- Formal training in Accounting and/or Finance
Special Condition Associated with the Job:
- Pressured working conditions with numerous critical deadlines.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday, 2nd February, 2023 to:
Human Resource Management and Development
Accountant General's Department
Ministry of Finance and the Public Service Complex
30 National Heroes Circle
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.