Job Information Assistant Transport Officer Company InformationJob InformationDescription
Company Government of Jamaica
Contact Name Office of the Services Commission
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type Full-time
Department Office of the Prime Minister
Posted 09-08-2022Job Status
Start Publishing 09-08-2022
Stop Publishing 20-08-2022
Applications are invited for the post of Assistant Transport Officer (GMG/AM 2) (Not Vacant) in the Administration and Special Services Division, Office of the Prime Minister, salary range $1,025,878 $1,219,446 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the direction of the Transport Manager, the Assistant Transport Officer is responsible for assisting the Transport Manager in the oversight and maintenance of the fleet of vehicles for the Office of the Prime Minister and the Office of the Cabinet.
The Assistant Transport Officer will work closely with the Transport Manager to ensure safe, effective, efficient and responsive service delivery within the Office of the Prime Minister and the Office of the Cabinet.
- Recommends route maps to ensure efficiency in the mail delivery process;
- Assists in the maintenance of Daily Assignment Log Book and Defects Log Book;
- Assists in the maintenance of vehicle records, including Registration Certificates, Certificates of Fitness, Insurance Policies, Inspection Schedules/Service Schedule;
- Conducts periodic inspections of motor vehicles;
- Assists in the management of fuel;
- Monitors Maintenance Schedules for vehicles and initiates procedures to have the vehicles serviced in a timely manner;
- Assists the Transport Manager with ongoing orientation, training and evaluation of Drivers and report any concerns to the Manager for necessary action;
- Provides input to the development and implementation of transport policies and strategies to improve operations;
- Sensitizes Drivers to ensure an awareness of the Administrative Procedures pertinent to the transportation function and report any area of concern and non-compliance to the Transport Manager;
- Assists in the management of the investigation and reporting process for vehicles involved in accidents;
- Makes recommendations to improve safety procedures; promotes safe work practices in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety and the Manager’s directives;
- Advises the Transport Manager of malfunctioning vehicles;
- Prepares reports as requested by the Transport Manager.
- Assists in the preparation of quarterly Motor Vehicle Operational Efficiency Reports (fuel and mileage);
- Participates in the formulation/development of the Strategic/Corporate Plans and Budget for the Unit;
- Assists in the preparation of Operational Plans and Work Plans for the Unit;
- Participates in monthly, quarterly, annual performance review and reporting meetings for the Unit;
- Sensitizes staff to ensures awareness of and adherence to the policies, procedures and regulations which guides the operations of the Ministry, Division and the Unit;
- Co-ordinates the preparation of requisitions for the payment related to insurance and maintenance and servicing of vehicles;
- Assists in the preparation of Highway Toll Report and prepares document to fund the accounts as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management, planning and organizing skills
- Excellent judgment, decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to deal with challenging and sensitive situations
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Government of Jamaica Transport legislation and procedures
- Knowledge of motor vehicle mechanics
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Associate Degree in Business/Public Administration or equivalent from an accredited institution;
- Three (3) years’ experience in a similar position.
Special Conditions Associated with Job:
- Required to work beyond normal working hours and weekends, whenever the need arises;
- Must have a valid Driver’s Licence.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday, 18th August, 2022 to:
Human Resource Development and Management Division Office of the Prime Minister 1 Devon Road
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please ensure that a copy of this circular is placed at a strategic position on the Notice Board of the Ministry/Department/Agency and brought to the attention of all eligible officers.