Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to be assigned to the post of Transport Planner (GMG/SEG 3) - (Not Vacant) in the Ministry of Transport and Mining, salary range $2,453,125 – $2,915,995 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Planning, Research and Evaluation, the incumbent will be required to provide technical expertise and advice in Transport Planning that supports the development and implementation of the Transport System at the National, Regional and Local Level; and to co-ordinate the plans and activities of various entities and interest groups in accordance with the National Transport Policy and associated Development Strategies, Plans and Programmes.
- Prepares a long term National Transport Development Strategy in line with the National Transport Policy;
- Co-ordinates medium and long term plans for entities across the transport modes into a National Transport Implementation Plan;
- Complies, and updates annually, a five (5) year Transport Infrastructure Development Plan;
- Spearheads and directs research related to transport conditions and needs to be used in the preparation of policies for planning and development;
- Leads and oversees the execution of transport/land use studies in urban and semi suburban areas;
- Conducts relevant research and analysis to evaluate the impacts of different transportation scheme options or strategies, making recommendations accordingly;
- Co-ordinates the activities of the Technical Services Unit technical staff and other relevant Officers within the Ministry and Agencies to obtain any pertinent data/information that is needed for the preparation and updating of the relevant plans;
- Works closely with planners within the Ministry’s portfolio entities and other relevant entities and participating in the development of specific plans;
- Provides advice and support to Government and other entities involved in various aspects of planning, and participating in the resolution of transport related issues at the Local, Regional and National Level;
- Liaises with the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ) and the Ministry of Local Government
and Rural Development in relation to the development of policies and strategies for the co-ordination of proposed land use and Transportation Development Activities;
- Attends relevant internal and external meetings, workshops, conferences and seminars
on Transport and Mining issues and provides technical advice on Transport matters, including the presentation of reports when required;
- Undertakes other reasonable and related tasks as identified by the Director, Planning,
- Research and Evaluation and Chief Technical Director, as necessary, for the fulfillment of strategic objectives;
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as may be determined from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Comprehensive knowledge of Multimodal Transport Systems and development planning
- Knowledge of Project Management processes
- Good understanding of maps, plans and drawings
- Ability to design and conduct qualitative and quantitative transport research studies
- Knowledge of the use of multimodal transport analysis tools and methodologies
- Knowledge of Policy Processes
- Knowledge of Regulations and Standards
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Planning/Engineering/Economics or any other closely related development discipline;
- Advanced training in Project Management and contract administration would be an asset; along with
- Five (5) years’ experience in a technical capacity in the Transport Sector;
- Any other equivalent combination of education, experience and training related to the essential duties.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Tuesday, 13th April, 2021 to:
Director, Corporate Services
Ministry of Transport and Mining
138h Maxfield Avenue
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.