Applications are invited from suitably qualified officers in their Ministries/Departments/Agencies to fill the vacant post of Payroll Control Officer - Pensions (FMG/AT 3) in the Accountant General’s Department (AGD), salary range $1,145,582 – $1,361,737 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Reporting to the Senior Payroll Officer - Pensions, the Payroll Control Officer – Pensions supports the accurate processing of pensions and statutory deductions for Public Sector Pensioners. The incumbent is responsible for recommending the requisite internal controls; independent verification of the data for Pension Payroll processing, reconciliation of the Pension Payroll with the on and off control; and resolution of any payroll discrepancies.
Summary of the broad purpose of the position in relation to Government’s goals and strategies:
To provide assurance of the accuracy of pensions, deductions and other payments to pensioners;
To develop, implement, and monitor the relevant internal control policies in compliance with the FAA Act and the Pensions Act;
To monitor the payroll process for continuous improvement and for the identification and resolution of any discrepancies;
To co-ordinate the reconciliation of the Public Sector Pensioners’ Payroll;
To establish checks and balances in the processing of information for pensions payment.
- Participates in the development of appropriate internal control policies compliant with the
- Monitors and provides advice to the Senior Payroll Officer regarding procedural deficiencies
observed within the processing of pensions;
- Monitors monthly payroll edit to identify all financial and other changes and ensures all the
changes are accounted for on the Payroll Register;
- Analyses each change item to ensure that all the differences are accounted for and to
ensure that the payroll is not over or understated;
- Oversees and co-ordinates all payroll reconciliation activities with each Payroll Officer;
- Spearheads the investigation and follow up of all outstanding items on the Payroll Reports;
- Identifies and investigates payments generated on the Exemption Reports with significant
- Ensures accuracy of computation and maintenance of control is achieved by reconciling the
- Payroll Register with the Net Pay, Statutory Deduction, and Incremental Listings, the Bank
- Reconciliation Reports, and the Payroll Register Signing Sheets;
- Prepares monthly reports on the progress of ‘on and off controls’;
- Ensures controls are completed before payments are made;
- Assists with the certification of payment vouchers prepared in accordance with the FAA Act;
- Assists with the verification and initialing of all memos, Minutes and letters written by officers in the Pensions Section;
- Performs any other related duty that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
The incumbent of this post is a public servant who represents the Government at all times; and supports the AGD team, in realizing the goals and objectives of the Department, in a highly dynamic environment.
The following competencies are required for the effective performance of this job:
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the
codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency
between established values and behaviors, in order to build trust and credibility.
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving: The capacity to analyze
problems promptly, choose between alternatives, and effect meaningful solutions.
Use of Technology: The ability to accept and implement information technology in work
activities to enhance organisational performance.
- Collaboration and Team Work: The ability to be collaborative, and an inspiring
professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work co-operatively with
others in pursuit of team goals.
- Managing the Client Interface: Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and
external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high quality
Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and
activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and strategic objectives
of the Unit in a consistent, effective and efficient manner.
- Oral and Written Communication: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in
writing, and in one- on- ones face- to- face, with excellent public speaking skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of
quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations.
Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact
collaboratively with colleagues, and to build long term internal and external relationships
and gain support to achieve desired objectives.
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social
awareness, and social skills – The ability to display behaviors appropriate to the AGD’s
business and social environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Government Accounting procedures
- Good knowledge of payroll accounting
- Working knowledge of relevant computer system and applications
- Good knowledge of Pensions and the FAA Acts
- Public Sector experience
- Knowledge of public treasury operations
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- AAT Level 3; ACCA-CAT Level C/Level 3; ACCA Level 1; NVQJ Level 3, Accounting;
Diploma in Accounting from an accredited University or Community College; ASc.
Degree in Business Studies/Business Administration from an accredited tertiary
Institution; ASc. Degree in Accounting, MIND; Diploma in Government Accounting,
MIND, Government Accounting Levels 1, 2 & 3; BSc. Degree in Accounting or
Management Studies with Accounting; BBA Degree; or Successful completion of three
(3) years of any of the Bachelor’s Degree programmes mentioned above.
- At least three (3) years of experience working in the field of Accounting.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Thursday,
22nd April, 2021 to:
Human Resource Management and Development
Accountant General's Department
Ministry of Finance and the Public Service Complex
30 National Heroes Circle
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.